The French and English versions of this applet have been freely available on this site since December 2001.
If you want this service to be provided in Arabic, you can volunteer your help!
A draft Arabic version already exists!
There are 1,945 kanji cards in this program (all jouyou kanji).
For each card, there are up to 3 entries defining the meaning of the kanji and up to 3 compound words given as examples.
Therefore, the total number of entries to translate exceeds 11,000.
It will not be necessary to type all these entries, the data has already been machine translated.
"neko" means "cat" in English, "chat" in French, "gato" in Spanish, etc. Since most entries in the database are simple words, present day machine translation gives acceptable results.
Of course, out of context, a machine cannot distinguish between the different meanings of certain words (like the English word "spirit" for example).
As for the Spanish version, roughly 80 % of the translations were correct, the other 20 % needed a correction.
How can you help?
In order to make the process of correcting as easy as possible, a web interface is provided.
The contents of the kanji cards are displayed as pre-filled text fields in a html form and can be emended (modified).
Submitting the form records the corrected data into a database (MySQL) and displays the next card.
You do not have to master Japanese to help!
If you are presently studying Japanese, participating in this project can become an incentive.
You will have to check the translations in a dictionary if necessary, and even ask questions by mail when you have a doubt.
This work will help you learn the kanji and vocabulary.
You do not have to commit yourself to correct all the sets!
You can try with one single set of 60 kanji first. Then work on other sets if you wish, whenever you have time. There are no deadlines.
You can also divide the work between fellow students.
So if you wish to help, please contact the author of the site (Roger Meyer) at email@example.com